Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Yay or Nay?.....That is the Question!!

Yesterday was my check-up with Dr. H. Trav and I left feeling pretty optimistic about things, but at the same time....a bit anxious. We discussed with him some of the symptoms I have had since the last time we met. After talking about each in detail, Dr. H. seemed very encouraged that the symptoms I have had, are all part of the demyelinating process I have experienced already, rather than anything new occurring. That was really good news for us, seeing as I have felt better in the last week, as far as my numbness is concerned, than I have in a really long time. Dr. H. examined me for a few minutes, checking my reflexes and shining bright lights into my eyes. After my examination, we talked about the fact that we don't have any baby news to report right now......and because we haven't had any luck in that department, it's time for me to go back in for more MRI tests. He was very direct and to the point from this time on in the appointment. He is still keeping the hope of ADEM (Acute Disseminating Encephalomyelitis) alive. He gave me the orders for a C-Spine, T-Spine and Brain MRI and asked that I get them done as soon as possible. Once the results are in, he will compare them to my previous ones 3 months ago. If there is no sign of change, (or if my lesions look like they have improved at all), then he will lean more towards ADEM, and we'll pray things continue to get better and go that direction. If there are any new lesions or signs of change in the existing ones, then ADEM can be ruled out completely, and a clinical diagnosis of MS will be more likely. We set up my return appointment with him the first week in Nov, unless things don't look good with the MRI, then I will see him sooner. We feel very fortunate that the symptoms I have had appear to be related to all that has already gone on. However, I am very anxious now for the MRI's. We stopped by Tanner Clinic on our way home and scheduled them for this Friday morning at 9. I will be in the machine for close to 2 hours while they run all three tests. I know the system a little better now, which is cause for a little more anxiety. I know that if at any point they come in and pull me out of the machine to administer the contrast dye, that things will not be in my favor. That will make for a very long two hours! But, I'm glad they could get me in so soon. Friday is our day.....we should know if this is a definite diagnosis or if I'm lucky enough to maybe escape this thing for the time being. I have kept a constant prayer in my heart since the appointment was made.

4 comments:

Anna said...

Good luck to you. Try not to question the IV dye to much... wouldn't they do it anyway to see if the old lesions are still active? I don't know, but I will be thinking about you. That will be a very long time in the machine. Heard of hot tub time machine? How about an MRI time machine. I hope and pray you are about to get off this roller-coaster! That would be amazing.

Ronda said...

Hang in there guys! We will keep you in our prayers and can't wait to hear how things go for you on Friday! Do you need help with the kiddos?

Grandma's Corner said...

We pray for you morning and night. I could come stay with the children. Tell them I could bring donuts, they will agree for me to come. Love you lots!

Rachelle said...

You'll be in my prayers, and I will definitely be watching for an update.