Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Learning from Others.....

I opened my email this afternoon to find a link to a video clip from the Today show this morning from my sweet Sister-in-law. I watched it and have to admit, it was through tears. I know this is video overload in the last couple of posts, but this is the whole reason I set up this blog was to share and learn from all of us in this MS world. I LOVED this clip and hope it will bring some hope and encouragement to others as well. I have been contacted lately and have come to the knowledge that a few more people I grew up with have been diagnosed with, or are in the process of being tested for MS. I'm amazed at how prevalent this crazy disease is becoming. Of course, it's like when you start looking for a new car, all you see on the road is THAT car.......but I am blown away at the amount of people I have heard of in the year and 1/2 since my diagnosis. On a totally different note, before I share the clip, I wanted to share what I learned on Facebook yesterday from the National MS Society in regards to heat.......otherwise known as "Summer Weather!" We have finally hit the high numbered temps. Our city's Heritage Day Parade is this Saturday and I've already thought about how I'm going to stay cool out there on the pavement with the sun on my back. Last year we bought a huge umbrella, and it's kind of a joke, so with being pregnant and having to hide from the heat all together with football and other activities coming up, I'm in search of a new kind of shading tent. I thought it was interesting though, when a neurologist was interviewed by the MS Society. She gave tips on staying cool while not having to miss out on summer activities such as: Taking a cold shower just before leaving to be in the heat - apparently that keeps body temps lower for up to 2 hrs. Also, taking a thermos full of ice chips - with ice chips in your mouth, core body temps stay 2-3 degrees lower while in the heat, drinking lots of cold water, staying shaded and lastly - wearing a neck cooler while outside. I seriously think I'll try the ice chips and see how that helps. I enjoy walking around and taking pictures at my kids football games way too much to sit down under shade the entire game. Plus, they can't hear me screaming my undying support from under there! Hope that helps those of you needing to stay cool this summer! Enjoy the video.....thanks again Ally!

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

No comments: