Friday, May 21, 2010

To say, or Not to Say?

I found myself in an odd predicament the other day when I opened my email. There sat an email from one of my dear friends Debbie. Debbie and I met in High School and were instant friends. She's one of those people that everyone loved! We served together in Student Body office and then went on to be "Roomies" at Utah State. Deb is the glue that keeps all us "Roomies" together. She emails every few months to check in and see how we are all doing, and often plans reunions. Last week, her "catch-me-up" email came in. "How are you all doing?" "What are you all up to?" One by one the updates came in. They were all so upbeat. One was on the Beach in Miami, one just ran a marathon, another had a beautiful new baby boy, and the other was getting her Master's Degree to start a new Therapy business. When it came to writing my update, I have to admit.....I wrote it 3 times. Each time, I ended up shutting the computer down and not sending anything. Finally, 3 days ago, I decided that regardless.....my new life was my update. That was what I had been doing for the last 5 months. They were my friends. They deserved to know. The thought came to my mind that if we planned a reunion for the summer, there was a possibility, that I just might show up not quite looking the same. Then how awkward would it be! So, I sat down, and gave them my update, as pathetic as it was. I wasn't on the Beach, I wasn't in school, or training for marathons. I was testing for, and being diagnosed with MS. My reasoning in this post, is because of their responses to my update. How blessed I am that through this trial, I have had amazing amounts of support. These 5 sweet friends of mine, have each replied with incredible words of love and encouragement. I am so grateful for wonderful family, friends and neighbors for all of the outpouring of love we have received. I have been treated to manicures and lunch, flowers, phone calls, meals, letters in the mail, several hugs, long talks and babysitters. I have received the blessings that come through many prayers and fasting. I have truly been buoyed up by all of your support. I am grateful today for all of you who have graced my life with your friendship. I could never make it though all of this without each of you. Thank you for taking the time to make me feel so loved.(This poor soul, took my number off my check at a gas station. I went out with him once and then made him dress up like Santa and surprise my Roomies for Christmas. He didn't call much after that!)

2 comments:

Anna said...

Santa doesn't look upset... look at all the gorgeousness surrounding him! He is one happy Santa!

To tell or not... I will never figure it out. It is hard to know what to say when people ask how you are doing. I am glad you told your friends. They really do want to know, so they can support and love you. :)

North Carolina Maughans said...

Sarah,

You are an inspiration. I have to say that I have gained more courage to be myself from reading your blog. When we catch up we choose to share the good things that are happening in our life. The truth is, we are all struggling with something. Thank you for awakening the desire to grab a hold of what is important to me. I absolutely love you for it. And, for the record, it was only a half-marathon. I'm not that cool!

Love you!