Monday, May 17, 2010

Strength in Numbers

A funny thing happened a few days after my initial diagnosis. I sat down to open my Facebook account, just like any other day. As I started reading everyone's posts about their goings-on......I notice I had an in-box message. I was so surprised when I opened it, to find my long lost High School buddy, A.S. We hadn't talked in years. She had found my family blog from my profile and just happened to read my post about my test results. She immediately sent me a message. She let me know I wasn't alone. I had her by my side. When my eyes read the words that she too, was in my same boat, part of me cheered with joy that I had someone truly "in my corner!" But the compassionate side of me wanted to cry, that yet another young mom had this horrible disease. We set up a time to meet for ice cream to talk things out. I have to admit, that part of me couldn't wait to meet up with her and hear how life has been since MS became her companion. But there was a part of me that wanted to run and hide. Would I be more scared after talking with her? Would it make me more sad? The answer to both, when all was said and done, is definitely not. It was incredible to sit with her. She is amazing! She is a new hero of mine. A.S. has been living with MS for almost 2 years now. To see her sitting there, looking as beautiful as ever, and happy even, was good for my soul. She shot things straight to me though. She has had her face droop. She is numb on the whole right side of her body. She has had experiences trying to reach the button on her car radio but feeling like someone was pushing down on her arm so she couldn't reach it. Her mouth has gone numb before. But the fact of the matter is, she works as a speech therapist. She continues to Mother. She is an amazing wife. Life has gone on for her. The thing that was most comforting in meeting with her, was the fact that, right now in my life and circle of friends and family.....she is the only one who truly gets what my numbness feels like. She gets what being diagnosed does to your spirits. She understands my fears. She sees Dr. H and loves him too, even though we both think he is a titch weird, (but that's kinda what Neurologists are! I know, I have worked for 3!). She understands that there are good days and bad days. Never once did she tell me, "It could be worse," or "At least it's just MS", or "So and so has had it 30 yrs. and is just barely in a wheelchair." Yes, I have had all of those said to me. I even had someone go into complete detail about someone they knew with MS and within just a few weeks was in a wheelchair and on a bag for their bowels. (My other friend Wendy and I are in the process of collecting phrases we have both heard for certain trials and are going to make a book titled "What not to say!" It has the potential to be a best seller!) A.S. and her family came over for dinner on Saturday night. It was nice to have our husbands together and talk about the changes that come with all of this. I am grateful to have her as a sounding board and especially grateful to I know if my speech ever goes....she will be there for me with that as well! A.S. will you charge me a copay? I believe in every trial there is a silver lining. A conversation I had at church yesterday helped me to realize that even more. We never know why we are asked to go through things in this life. Through this, I have come closer to my Heavenly Father, I have felt the love of friends and family, and now, I have reconnected with a dear friend. A.S. thank you for having the courage to contact me. I hope we can help each other along this new journey we are both on.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Oh, now you've got me crying! The truth is, you have helped me every bit as much. The connection we have is so helpful and important to me as well. We can learn and grow through these struggles together. Thanks for the support and the kind words!:)

Also, I'd like to help co-write that book. I've heard people say some pretty stupid things! Great idea. As for the co-pay... there will be a one time only friends and family discount of 5%. Just kidding. Hopefully you (we) will never need that sort of help! We can only pray. In the mean time... chin up, life is good, and most of the time we can actually locate our extremities. :)

Hillary said...

It is really hard for me to know what to say to people when they are faced with challenges. I often find myself second guessing my responses, and realizing I probably just put my foot in my mouth. Your book would help me a lot.

When I read your first blog post about MS, I wanted to tell you that I have a friend, an uncle and two cousins who have all been living with MS and have all been living somewhat happy and normal lives. But then I knew while they are somewhat happy,that was not entirely true. I also know that it has been very different for each one of them, and that they have had many struggles. So while there is strength in numbers, I did not want you to think I was trying to lessen your feelings, because you had every right to have them.

These past couple of months we have been struggeling to figure out some problems our daughter is having. At one time the idea of MS was brought to our attention. I can not discribe the worry that I felt and the relief that came when that diagnosis was taken off the table. I hope that you know that while I am not good at expressing myself, I love you and pray for you.

Grandma's Corner said...

Sarah, you are the most amazing person in the whole world, I love you and want you to know it. Lets plan a steam party after this week.